Tuesday 27 July 2010

Please don't take me to the Tower (...of Larne)


I tend to find that most days have their amusing little moments and today was no exception - but one in particular stands out.

I was getting Jamie ready for his day before starting my own when a trailer for a new kiddies show appeared on the telly.

Due to be shown on CBeebies from next Monday, its called Big City Park (you heard it here first, or maybe second if, like me, you're an enforced CBeebies fan) and features puppets and "real people" enjoying the great outdoors of Northern Ireland.

Because it's set in the fair Province, it features several characters - both fleshy and furry - who hail from there.

And during the short trailer, there was one who particularly caught my eye.

He had the look of a caveman to me, although further research has since revealed he's actually a caretaker called Ruairi. (As an aside - typically Norn Iron and in an attempt to avoid "religious imbalance," one of his co-characters is a badger called Billy).

However, when I made reference to my discovery of this new show and, more specifically, the "caveman" on Facebook this morning, I added that I thought he had a Larne accent - setting off a sharp string of derogatory comments from several individuals collectively hinting at a lack of depth in the Larne gene pool.

But it was the final comment that provided me with today's principal laugh-out-loud moment:

"just be careful..." were the menacing words of my mate Andy.

Or, to give him his full title, Councillor Andrew Wilson - Mayor of Larne.

Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment