Tuesday 23 March 2010

How Cavalier should he be?


Ladies and gentlemen, we have a problem

Vanessa’s headed off to London this morning for work and isn’t due back until tomorrow.

Before Jamie moved into ours, this was a scenario I used to look forward to. Perhaps it’s just a boy's thing, but having the option to eat what you like, (drink what you like), watch what you like on telly and generally make a mess is something approaching luxury in my sad little existence.

But since Sproglet descended amongst us, the prospect no longer has the same appeal.

If I tell you he was up at 4.30 this morning and refused to go back to sleep, well, you’ll have a fair idea of what I mean.

But tonight, before I get anywhere near bed, an added complication will confront me.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned here that Jamie had been invited to take part in an Easter Bonnet Parade at nursery with all participants being awarded a small prize.

Vanessa had a plan in place to make something for him but, about an hour ago, I discovered we’d got our dates wrong.

And instead of next Wednesday, the note on our fridge advised that the parade is actually tomorrow.

So at some point today, I’m going to have to nick out of work and buy whatever raw materials I can find.

And then tonight, I’ll make my son an Easter bonnet.

I genuinely have no idea where to start or what it’s going to look like. I didn’t even know boys were supposed to wear Easter bonnets. In fact, I’m fairly certainly they’re not.

What I can say is that I keep having images of the Gay Cavalier flashing into my head. And I’m not going to send him out looking like that.

Or am I?

I will show you what I come up with tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment