Wednesday 10 March 2010

You might say it was good

"I ****ing loved it!"

That's the kind of uncouth and, quite frankly, gutter response you might expect from a scummy and unsophisticated individual after they'd been asked what they thought of their first live performance of Riverdance.

And my own verdict of last night's show in Bradford? Easy.

"I ****ing loved it!"

I reckon it was the second best show I've seen on stage - just behind The Lion King (but I'll not embarrass myself further by getting into that).

I'm not one of life's dancers, see - that fact quickly becomes stark when you see my moves. And, despite coming from Norn Iron, I know next to nothing about Irish dancing (there wasn't a great call for it in Macosquin where I spent my early years).

But I do know when I'm impressed by something and, last night, I was simply blown away. The pace, the sounds, the beauty, the effortlessness of the dancers and their obvious enjoyment as they performed was close to overwhelming.

In fact, the only downside was that our seats were so high up - the picture above was taken from my perch - that I kept hitting my head on the roof every time I tried to get involved in a standing ovation. (OK, slight exaggeration, but you get my point).

And I reckon Vanessa must have cracked her head off something during the first half of the show too, because here is word for word the very brief conversation we had during the interval.

Vanessa: "That's brilliant! I love Irish dancing! Do you fancy signing up for some classes?"

Barry: "No."

As if.

But anyway, Riverdance - wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Please go and see it if you get a sniff of a chance.

You'll ****ing love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment