Monday 4 October 2010

Arise Sir GMac

I'm writing this in a bar, just across the road from the ICC in Birmingham and the Conservative Party Conference.

And the highlight so far?

Prime Minister David Cameron popping in for a pep talk at last night's North of England Reception?

Not even close.

Unquestionably, it was fellow Coleraine Inst Old Boy Graeme McDowell sinking his putt on the 16th green to effectively win the Ryder Cup for Europe, before sealing the deal on the next hole.

I was almost in tears near the end, and I've never met the bloke.

A lifetime of sainthood now lies ahead for someone who achieved mere legendary status earlier this year with his victory at the US Open.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

As for now, it's back to the (crappy) hotel for a clean-up before an evening of receptions, shaking hands and trying to remember people's names.

I've never been to Birmingham before and, thus far, I'm hugely impressed.

But I'm not convinced all the locals are so enamoured by their visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment